Pages

Tuesday, July 22, 2014

Rach Makes a Pool Ice Cream Cake

So for my friend's party she saw this pool cake on pinterest and asked if I could recreate it. You can check out the complete how to at Spoonful.
I started by letting my ice cream defrost a couple minutes as suggested. My friend had requested half chocolate, half vanilla with chocolate crunchies in the middle - classic ice cream cake. Then I scooped the vanilla ice cream out into my springform pan and smoothed it out with a spatula.

I put the cake back in the freezer to chill. This cake melts very quickly so make sure to keep it in the freezer as long as you don't need it.

Now it was time to create the chocolate crunchies because what ice cream cake is complete without it? I found this great recipe at Our Best Bites. Just put two rows of the oreos in your food processor and chop until they are course. Then pour in your bottle of magic shell and pulse on your machine until it is mixed well. then pour this on top of your vanilla ice cream and smooth out using the spatula. Now add the chocolate on top and chill for a couple hours. I chilled mine overnight.

Take your ice cream cake back out of the freezer and gently push your fudge sticks into the side. Even pressure is better so you don't break them. When done put back in the freezer for about 15 minutes while you make your whipped cream. I followed the directions on Spoonful by whipping the heavy cream until it was soft peaks then adding the vanilla and sugar and continuing to whip. I then added food coloring until the color looked good. I used a spatula to scoop and spread the whipped cream onto my cake.
Now freeze for about an hour or just enough for the top to harden and the sides to stay in place. I froze overnight again and decorated it just an hour before the party.

In the inspiration they used swimmer people but I couldn't find them anywhere without spending an arm and leg so I thought teddy grahams would be a good substitute. I laid them out on wax paper the morning of the paper and used my leftover royal icing from the cookies. I put a small amount, like just a dollop, in a bowl and mixed it with one of my many Americolor food colorings. I love the brand and they have a ton of colors. They are great because they are squeeze bottles and are easy to dispense just the right amount.
For this project I did bathing suits in pink, purple, teal and orange. After mixing the royal icing colors, I used a food paintbrush to paint bathing suits on my teddy grahams and then let them dry for 20 or so minutes.
 Aren't they cute! I also created a ladder out of twizzlers for the above ground pool. This was not as easy as the how to says. I tried attaching the rungs with royal icing and that didn't work so then I tried some store bought icing but after drying this still didn't hold so I used toothpicks through the rungs and into the sides of the ladder to hold it together.
Top: Royal Icing, Middle: Store Bought Icing, Bottom: Toothpicks (the Winner!)
I just stuck the ladder on the cake about an hour before serving and placed the the teddy grahams in the "pool". Some were in gummy rings, others got a float made of Airhead extremes candy and we put some balls in the "pool". Made of Gobstoppers candy. I think it looked great! And it tasted great too.


Pool Ice Cream Cake with Chocolate Crunchies

Ingredients:
Ice Cream Cake
1/2 gallon ice cream (2 containers)
2 boxes of Keebler fudge sticks

Chocolate Crunchies
1 bag of Oreos
7.25 oz bottle of chocolate Magic shell

Whipped Cream Topping
1 pint (2 cups) heavy cream
1/2 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
1/4 cup confectioners sugar

Decorations
Teddy Grahams
Royal Icing
Gummy Rings
Paper Umbrellas
Gobstoppers candy
Airhead extremes candy
Twizzlers

Tools:
8" Spring form Pan
Spatula
Ice Cream Scoop
Food processor
Food coloring
Food safe paintbrushes
Toothpicks

Directions:
  1. Take ice cream out of freezer to thaw for about 15 minutes
  2. Scoop half of ice cream into springform pan and smooth out with spatula
  3. Place springform pan back in freezer to cool
  4. Chop 2 rows of oreos in food processor until course crumbs. You want some crumbs.
  5. Add Magic shell into food processor and pulse until combined
  6. Scoop into springform pan and smooth out with spatula
  7. Scoop rest of ice cream into springform pan and smooth out top
  8. Freeze for 3+ hours or overnight

No comments:

Post a Comment