Pages

Sunday, March 8, 2015

Rach Makes Tissue Paper Flower Balls

As promised, here is the how to on making the tissue paper balls. I created them for the candle holders on my Valentine's Day Mantle

Here's a close up:

I apologize that the below pictures aren't great. I took them with my phone while crafting at night - bad blogger!

Anyway, I saw these tissue paper flower balls on pinterest and was inspired but couldn't find a good tutorial for them anywhere so I figured I should make one for you!

Here's what you need:
  • Tissue Paper
  • Styrofoam balls
  • Floral wire
  • Scissors
Ok, so hopefully the pictures are worth a thousand words, but if not here's how you make these.

First cut a small square of paper. I used the fold in my paper as a starting point so they were about 3x3 squares. You want your squares to be consistently the same size otherwise your flower will look lumpy.

Fold the paper in an accordion style - back and forth opposite directions.

Next cut the ends so the are round.

Wrap a small piece of floral wire around the middle of your paper. I folded my slightly in half to see where the middle was. Twist the wire at the bottom to stay in place and have a stem. Then gently, and I mean gently pull each layer up towards the middle.


Keep pulling the layers up till you have done all of them and have a pretty flower.

Then trim the stem to 1-1 1/2" and shove them stem into your Styrofoam ball. 

My Styrofoam ball was about 3" and I needed about 20 flowers to cover it. Just keep making them and shoving them into you can't see the white anymore.



That's all there is too it! These would be great on tall candelabras for a wedding or even in a basket on the table, or possibly even hanging from a doorway or chandelier. My sister in law is thinking of making red ones in trophies for a Kentucky Derby Party - Great idea!

Tissue Paper Flower Balls


Supplies:
Styrofoam Ball
Tissue Paper
Floral Wire

Tools:
Scissors

Directions:
  1. Cut tissue paper into a sqaure
  2. Accordion fold the paper
  3. Trim edges so they are rounded
  4. Cut a small piece of floral wire and wrap once around the center of the paper.
  5. Twist the wire to keep it in place
  6. Gently pull each layer up
  7. Trim wire so the tail is 1 to 1 1/2" long
  8. Push the tail into the Styrofoam ball
  9. Repeat steps 1-8 until the ball is covered in flowers.

No comments:

Post a Comment